- 1 cup warm water (70° to 80°)
- 1 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups rye flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into an 8-in. round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (2-1/4 pounds, 12 slices).
Originally published as Pumpernickel Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p232
Reviews for Pumpernickel Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2011
This was horrible. I should have known better. No sugar no salt. Never had such a failure with a TOH recipe.