Pumpernickel Bread Recipe
- 1 cup warm water (70° to 80°)
- 1 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups rye flour
- 2/3 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into an 8-in. round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (2-1/4 pounds, 12 slices).
1 slice: 134 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 0 fat.
Reviews for Pumpernickel Bread
"I wish I had read the reviews before trying this! It ended up in the trash before even wasting time baking it."
"This recipe didn't work at all. I added at least 3 more cups of flour and the dough was still too wet. It looked like a large cookie after baking, not like a round loaf. It had a very strong molasses taste. It definitely needs some sugar. I need to find another recipe and start over."
"This was horrible. I should have known better. No sugar no salt. Never had such a failure with a TOH recipe."