I was raised as a Southern girl with the love of barbecue built into my DNA. This slow-cooker recipe allows me to enjoy the flavors I grew up eating. —Heidi Mulholland, Virginia Beach, Virginia
Recommended: Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, mix the first eleven ingredients. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Pour sauce over top.
Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve in buns.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pulled Chicken Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014, p2-2
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review