Puffy Sopaipillas Recipe
Our teenage son requests these sweet doughnut puffs for dessert whenever we have enchiladas. They're similar to sopaipillas we used to enjoy at a favorite Mexican restaurant.
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm evaporated milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Honey, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; roll into a 16-in. x 14-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. squares.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry squares, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with honey if desired. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Puffy Sopaipillas
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC