Puffy Dessert Omelet
Carol Mead of Los Alamos, New Mexico suggests this slightly sweet omelet treat. "It's definitely worth the extra time it takes to fix," Carol comments.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced and sweetened
- Whipped cream
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form; set
- aside. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar, flour, lemon peel
- and vanilla until smooth. Fold in egg whites. In a 10-in. ovenproof
- skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add egg mixture. Cook
- without stirring for 6-7 minutes or until bottom is golden brown.
- Remove from the heat. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1 minute or just
- until top is golden (watch carefully). Fold omelet in half; transfer
- to a serving platter. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 249 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 334 mg cholesterol, 448 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.