Here's a wonderfully zesty casserole that's much lower in fat and easier to assemble than traditional chile rellenos. I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I've enjoyed this layered entree for years. --Marilyn Morey of Mallard, Iowa.
- 4 cans (7 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 cups egg substitute
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup salsa
- Cut along one side of each chili and open to lie flat. Coat a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the chilies, tortilla strips, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in prepared dish. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg substitute, milk, garlic powder, cumin, pepper and salt. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until puffy and a knife inserted 2 in. from the edge of the pan comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Puffy Chile Rellenos Casserole in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p40
Reviews for Puffy Chile Rellenos Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review