Puffy Chile Rellenos Casserole Recipe
- 4 cans (7 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 cups egg substitute
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup salsa
- Cut along one side of each chili and open to lie flat. Coat a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with cooking spray. Layer half of the chilies, tortilla strips, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in prepared dish. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg substitute, milk, garlic powder, cumin, pepper and salt. Pour over cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until puffy and a knife inserted 2 in. from the edge of the pan comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Puffy Chile Rellenos Casserole
Sort By :
I will try this recipe again with some changes. The concept is a great one and its fairly quick to make. Its a little bland.....but cannot yet figure out how I am going to change it up to make it better.
Loved this! Subbing Monterey Jack for mozzarella worked fine. I did tweak the seasoning, adding 1/4 tsp. each of cayenne and Mrs. Dash chipotle. Would probably also add more cumin next time. Great dish for any meal!
We just got done eating this and it turned out to be a keeper. Next time I plan on making it spicier and it seemed to have been lacking salt or some other flavor. I also had to cook it for almost and hour because at 45 minutes the egg was still runny. I love that this is tasty and healthy!