- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together flour, baking powder and, if desired, salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk and lemon juice; stir into flour mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until stiff peaks form. Fold into flour mixture.
- Pour into a shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange apple slices over top. Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apple.
- Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Puffy Apple Omelet
"I made this for my father every Sunday for his last 5 years of life. It was his favorite"
"This was really good and really fluffed up in the oven. It was light but filling and I enjoyed the tartness of the apples. Next time, I'll try cooking the apples in the cinnamon and sugar to get them a little softer, before putting them in the oven."
"Outstanding. I think it should be called a puffy pancake though. My husband won't eat eggs, and he never knew!I used whole wheat pastry flour and Stevia and it was fabulous. Light and guilt free!"
"This is excellent! Very light and full of flavor."
"My husband and I had this for dinner tonight. We love it so much, I'm going to quadruple the recipe so that we'll have enough for our kids!"