Puff Pillow Buns Recipe
I entered this recipe at the 1971 Iowa State Fair and won first place. You can conveniently make the dough the night before, then shape and bake the buns the next morning. —Shirley Marti, Lansing, Iowa
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, lemon extract, eggs and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead for 2-3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to greased top. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll one portion into a 9-in. x 6-in. rectangle (refrigerate remaining portions until ready to roll out). Cut into 3-in. squares.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and vanilla until smooth. Place about 2 teaspoons filling in the center of each square. Moisten corners with water; bring over center of filling and pinch corners tightly in center. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 5. Place seam side up 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; brush with melted butter. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; spread over warm buns. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 170 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, trace fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Puff Pillow Buns
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC