Robert Ryan of Newton, Iowa is known for these pretty sweet treats. "My family and co-workers love them," he says.
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coarse or granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Carefully open each puff pastry sheet. Cut each sheet of pastry at creases, forming 3 strips. Cut each strip widthwise into 7 pieces.
- Combine egg and milk; lightly brush egg mixture over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Split into top and bottom halves.
- In a saucepan, combine the flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Cool.
- Transfer to a bowl; beat in the butter, sugar, vanilla, almond extract and salt until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Spread 1 tablespoonful on bottom half of each pastry; replace tops. Store in refrigerator. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Puff Pastry Pillows in Taste of Home December/January 2004, p57
Reviews for Puff Pastry Pillows
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review