- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coarse or granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Carefully open each puff pastry sheet. Cut each sheet of pastry at creases, forming 3 strips. Cut each strip widthwise into 7 pieces.
- Combine egg and milk; lightly brush egg mixture over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Split into top and bottom halves.
- In a saucepan, combine the flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Cool.
- Transfer to a bowl; beat in the butter, sugar, vanilla, almond extract and salt until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Spread 1 tablespoonful on bottom half of each pastry; replace tops. Store in refrigerator. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Puff Pastry Pillows
"My Family absolutely loves these i have been making them for about 8 years!! The only correction for me was cooking the puff pastry I find if i set the oven to 400 these brown much better and are not doughy in the middle. If you have a true convection oven they really come out great on convection because they cook really even. I have had a difficult time trying to find the coarse sugar for the top so I decided to use sugar in the raw it works excellent!! I would also like to add that the filling for these has always been hard for me to perfect and don't come out as creamy as I think it should, so while making these with my daughter she suggested we switch out the granulated sugar for 2 cups of powdered sugar.and the result was amazing it makes a much fluffier and creamy filling. Happy Cooking!"
"Yum! One of my new favorites. You will look like you spent a lot of time making these, but they are a snap."
"I have made these for the past few years and everyone always loves them! They are one of my favorite baked good to eat!Light and tasty, and I love the cream center with with the almond extract....everyone raves about them!"
"I enjoy making new recipes and sending them off with my DH to work. I know these are going to be a hi, I tasted one as I packed them and they're devine! For whatever reason some didn't want to brown on top and some were still doughy, so I browned them under the broiler and as I stuffed with cream I removed some dry raw dough off some. I will not be so light handed on the egg wash next time as well as being a bit more generous with sprinkling the sugar next time I had quite alot left over. The cream mixture was just the right amount, I had very little leftover. Definetly a keeper! Thank you"
"A co-worker brought this in to a potluck we had at work. I fell in love with these delicious dainty desserts. I finally got the recipe tonight, and plan on making them for an upcoming church dinner. I'm gonna experiment with different flavored fillings, such as lemon, strawberry, and banana."