Puff Pastry Hearts Recipe
These adorable cream-filled hearts are perfect for Valentine’s Day or any time you want to serve a loving treat. The delightful recipe and pretty way to present it come from Sarah Vasques of Milford, New Hampshire.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 packages (17.3 ounces each) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 jar (12 ounces) seedless raspberry preserves
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in extracts. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until chilled.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold into custard. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a lightly floured 3-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- 4. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 5. Just before serving, warm preserves in a small saucepan; drizzle some onto dessert plates. Split puff pastry hearts in half. Place bottom halves on plates; spread each with 2 tablespoons of filling. Replace tops; drizzle with remaining preserves. Garnish with raspberries and confectioners' sugar. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 163 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC