- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 packages (17.3 ounces each) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 jar (12 ounces) seedless raspberry preserves
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in extracts. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until chilled.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold into custard. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a lightly floured 3-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Just before serving, warm preserves in a small saucepan; drizzle some onto dessert plates. Split puff pastry hearts in half. Place bottom halves on plates; spread each with 2 tablespoons of filling. Replace tops; drizzle with remaining preserves. Garnish with raspberries and confectioners' sugar. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Puff Pastry Hearts
Sort By :
I made these for Valentine's Day last year. I always make a special dinner on Valentine's Day and find an extra special dessert to go with it. It beats going to crowded restaurants--I'd rather just stay home and "fancy" things up a bit. Anyway, both my husband & I were highly satisfied with this dessert. Although they were time consuming, I didn't mind in the least. I followed the recipe to a "T" & they came out beautifully, just as the photo depicts.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Custard Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Mother's Day Pastry Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Raspberry Recipes >