Puff Pastry Chicken Bundles Recipe
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 40 large spinach leaves
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon cold water
- Cut a lengthwise slit in each chicken breast to within 1/2 in. of the other side; open meat so it lies flat. Cover with plastic wrap; pound to flatten to 1/8-in. thickness. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken.
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; add spinach. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes or until wilted; drain. Place five spinach leaves on each chicken breast. Spoon 2 tablespoons of cream cheese down the center of each chicken breast; sprinkle with walnuts. Roll up chicken and tuck in ends.
- Unroll puff pastry; cut into eight portions. Roll each into an 8-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Combine egg and cold water; brush over edges of pastry. Place chicken at one short end; roll up tightly, tucking in ends.
- Place on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Puff Pastry Chicken Bundles
Sort By :
"These are delicious and look impressive as well. I did heat my oven to 400 degree's and cooked it for the same length of time. My chicken was still moist and the pastry was golden brown. I also substituted basil leaves for the spinach using only two large leaves per chicken bundle-I did not sauté the basil prior to use and I added chopped red pepper to the cream cheese mixture and topped with thinly sliced mushrooms as I had both in the refrigerator. I omitted the walnuts per my husband's request. They turned out beautifully and I will definitely be making them again."
"Absolutely delish!! Total comfort food!!"
"This one was a total disaster. I followed the directions to the letter but not only did the puff pastry never get golden, it actually looked pale and was raw in the end. The recipes said to bake for 25 to 30 minutes and I had it in the oven for an hour just to make the dough bake. Will never make this again. I basically had to throw them all out."
"Really liked this. I made the recipe my own - didn't have spinach so just used regular cream cheese, salt and pepper, dried chives and walnuts. They took around 45 minutes to cook - the chicken was cooked but the pastry wasnt as golden as the picture! But that aside, i really liked these and they had such a fancy flavour without being an impossible recipe to make. And rolling up the chicken in pastry wasnt hard at all! Yum."
"It took alot longer to cook. In the end i had to broil them to brown the tops And i hate to say it but i didnt like the flavor of the chicken or the walnuts. i liked the pastry and the cream cheese:("