Prune Quick Bread
I bake this bread weekly and use a variety of fruits available in the junior baby food lines. The recipe came from a friend, who made it for our Christian Mothers' Club. When I'm asked to bake for lunches, bake sales or other benefits, I usually make this bread.
-Shirley Kmiotek, Northbridge, Massachusetts
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 jars (2-1/2 ounces each) prune baby food
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add the egg, milk and
- prunes; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to
- creamed mixture just until moistened. Stir in nuts.
- Pour into two greased and floured 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf
- pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before
- removing from pans to a wire rack. Yield: 2 mini loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 190 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.