- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, water, wine, sugar and basil. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in uncooked ziti.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 1 hour. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until ziti is tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Provolone Ziti Bake
"Pretty easy to make, but the taste was just ok."
"This recipe is very easy and quite filling. I bought diced tomatoes by mistake, but they worked out just fine. It makes a lot of pasta, but leftovers are good, too! We'll keep this recipe, and I'll be making it again!"
"This is by far one of the best baked pasta dishes I've made! I did add some salt and additional spices to our liking, but loved the end result - perfect pasta and nice thick sauce!"
"Very easy, nice flavor, large portion and both my daughter and husband loved despite no meat. Great for meatless Mondays!"
"Super easy, the oven does all the work. This also freezes well for lunches on the go later on."