- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, water, wine, sugar and basil. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in uncooked ziti.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 1 hour. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until ziti is tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Provolone Ziti Bake
"This recipe is very easy and quite filling. I bought diced tomatoes by mistake, but they worked out just fine. It makes a lot of pasta, but leftovers are good, too! We'll keep this recipe, and I'll be making it again!"
"This is by far one of the best baked pasta dishes I've made! I did add some salt and additional spices to our liking, but loved the end result - perfect pasta and nice thick sauce!"
"Very easy, nice flavor, large portion and both my daughter and husband loved despite no meat. Great for meatless Mondays!"
"Super easy, the oven does all the work. This also freezes well for lunches on the go later on."
"Super easy to make! I cut this recipe in half and used crushed tomatoes with basil so I substituted basil with dried Italian seasoning. Sauce was a bit sweet for my daughter's taste so may eliminate the sugar next time. This is quick to prepare so had plenty of time to make a salad to go with!"