Provolone Ziti Bake
As easy as it is filling and delicious, this Italian meal appeals to everyone—and they won’t even miss the meat. Serve with salad and hot French bread, and watch it disappear. —Vicky Palmer, Albuquerque, New Mexico
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1
- minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, water, wine, sugar and basil.
- Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. Stir in ziti.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Top with cheese. Bake,
- uncovered, 4-6 minutes longer or until ziti is tender and cheese is
- melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 381 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 763 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.