Provolone Ziti Bake Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, water, wine, sugar and basil. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in uncooked ziti.
- 2. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 1 hour. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until ziti is tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 381 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Provolone Ziti Bake
"This was very good and oh so easy. I made half the recipe in an 8x8 pan. After reading the reviews which said it needed a little more flavor I add some italian seasoning and used the full amount of garlic for half the recipe--3 cloves (we like garlic). This is a keeper. We used it as a side with "perfect portions" Italian chicken. We also had it with your delicious sauteed green beans. Excellent meal."
"Pretty easy to make, but the taste was just ok."
"This recipe is very easy and quite filling. I bought diced tomatoes by mistake, but they worked out just fine. It makes a lot of pasta, but leftovers are good, too! We'll keep this recipe, and I'll be making it again!"
"Very easy, nice flavor, large portion and both my daughter and husband loved despite no meat. Great for meatless Mondays!"
"Super easy, the oven does all the work. This also freezes well for lunches on the go later on."
"Made half recipe. Followed recipe with 2 exceptions. 1) I added a small sweet red pepper, chopped. 2) I added 1/4 lb. of sweet Italian sausage cooked to one side of the dish (wife does not like meat). I used the wine. Next time I would add additional cheese (cheese lovers). This was simply/easy and very good."
"It was very little work the oven did most of the work (good for after work). My husband loved the provolone cheese on top. I made half a recipe and it came out perfect - you could add veggies and meat or meat substitue as well and it would be great!"
"I'll add some addition salt and spices next time I make this...had a mild flavor. Easy to make!!!"
"Easy to make, and very tasty! Maybe I'll cut the recipe in half next time - makes a VERY full 9 x 13."
"I used Rotel Diced Tomatoes with green chilies, sauteed some red pepper with the onion and used all chicken broth, it was awesome!!"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.