- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, water, wine, sugar and basil. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in ziti.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 1 hour. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and ziti is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Provolone Ziti Bake
Sort By :
"Super easy, the oven does all the work. This also freezes well for lunches on the go later on."
"Super easy to make! I cut this recipe in half and used crushed tomatoes with basil so I substituted basil with dried Italian seasoning. Sauce was a bit sweet for my daughter's taste so may eliminate the sugar next time. This is quick to prepare so had plenty of time to make a salad to go with!"
"Made half recipe. Followed recipe with 2 exceptions. 1) I added a small sweet red pepper, chopped. 2) I added 1/4 lb. of sweet Italian sausage cooked to one side of the dish (wife does not like meat). I used the wine. Next time I would add additional cheese (cheese lovers). This was simply/easy and very good."
"It was very little work the oven did most of the work (good for after work). My husband loved the provolone cheese on top. I made half a recipe and it came out perfect - you could add veggies and meat or meat substitue as well and it would be great!"
"<p>Was tempted to add meat, but was surprisingly pleased with the recipe as is. Very easy and quick as you don't have to precook the pasta.</p>"