- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or small tube pasta
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, water, wine, sugar and basil. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in ziti.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 1 hour. Top with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 4-6 minutes longer or until ziti is tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Provolone Ziti Bake
Sort By :
Super easy to make! I cut this recipe in half and used crushed tomatoes with basil so I substituted basil with dried Italian seasoning. Sauce was a bit sweet for my daughter's taste so may eliminate the sugar next time. This is quick to prepare so had plenty of time to make a salad to go with!
Made half recipe. Followed recipe with 2 exceptions. 1) I added a small sweet red pepper, chopped. 2) I added 1/4 lb. of sweet Italian sausage cooked to one side of the dish (wife does not like meat). I used the wine. Next time I would add additional cheese (cheese lovers). This was simply/easy and very good.
It was very little work the oven did most of the work (good for after work). My husband loved the provolone cheese on top. I made half a recipe and it came out perfect - you could add veggies and meat or meat substitue as well and it would be great!
Was tempted to add meat, but was surprisingly pleased with the recipe as is. Very easy and quick as you don't have to precook the pasta.
This was super easy and tasty. Picky-eater approved. I added pasta and boiled for about 6 minutes and reduced covered baking time to 35 minutes. I used chicken stock instead of wine and added half a can of olives. I made a half batch and it came out great.