Provolone Corn Loaf Recipe
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 cup cornmeal, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded or 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) provolone cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons cornmeal on the bottom and sides of a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sage, baking powder, salt, pepper, baking soda, cayenne if desired and remaining cornmeal. In another bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- 2. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf.
One slice (prepared with part-skim mozzarella cheese) equals 138 calories, 6 gm fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 meat, 1/2 fat.