- saute the leeks, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the
- water, ham, cloves, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper and beans; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours or until
- the beans are almost tender.
- Add carrots, turnips, potatoes, kale and parsley. Cover and simmer
- 25-35 minutes longer or until the beans and vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaves and cloves before serving. Yield: 16-18 servings
- (about 4-1/2 quarts).
Editor's Note: 2 cups of shredded cabbage may be substituted for the kale
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 192 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 681 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 16 g protein.