This classic dish gets upgraded with Johnsonville! While many reach for the boxed stuff, this quick and easy recipe shows you how easy homemade can be. Take your favorite elbow macaroni, butter, flour, milk and American cheese to create a delicious meal that everyone loves. For the real treat, add in some Johnsonville Smoked Sausage for that extra hit of savory goodness. For you cheese lovers, Johnsonville Three Cheese Italian Style Cooking Sausage is the perfect match. Brought to you by Johnsonville® Sausage
- 2 cups uncooked whole grain elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 8 ounces processed American cheese, cubed (Velveete® or Kraft®)
- 1 link (half of 13.5 ounce package) Johnsonville® Smoked or Three Cheese Italian Style Premium Cooking Sausage, quartered and sliced
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- Stir in macaroni and sausage.
- Enjoy. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Protein Packed Mac & Cheese in Johnsonville® Sausage 2016
Reviews for Protein Packed Mac & Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 19, 2015
"Where is nutrient break down?"