Prosciutto and oregano give these stuffed mushrooms a bit of an Italian twist. To make them ahead, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 16 large fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 thin slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove stems from mushrooms; finely chop stems. Drizzle caps with 2 tablespoons oil; set aside. In a large skillet, saute the stems, onion and garlic in butter and remaining oil until tender.
- Stir in bread crumbs and prosciutto. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Stir in the oregano, lemon juice and pepper. Spoon mixture firmly into mushroom caps.
- Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 16 appetizers.
Originally published as Prosciutto-Stuffed Mushrooms in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p34
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Prosciutto-Stuffed Mushrooms
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review