Prosciutto-Stuffed Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-3/4 cups soft sourdough bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links or Ground Sausage
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 5 ounces thinly sliced Havarti cheese
- 1-1/4 cups loosely packed basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil and butter for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add mushrooms; cook 6-8 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender and no liquid remains. Stir in salt and pepper.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, thyme and mushroom mixture. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture; mix well.
- 3. On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Layer the prosciutto, Havarti, basil and tomatoes to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seams and ends.
- 4. Place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 75-85 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 500 calories, 34 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 173 mg cholesterol, 1,111 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.