- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 35 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a shallow bowl, combine milk and wine. Dip both sides of bread in milk mixture; squeeze gently to remove excess liquid. Layer bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle with basil and parsley; drizzle with oil. Layer with half of the cheese, half of the prosciutto and all of the tomatoes; drizzle with half of the pesto. Top with remaining cheese, prosciutto and pesto.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper until blended; pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Prosciutto-Pesto Breakfast Strata
"Is it really 35 slices of french bread? I think it must be a mistake."
"Does this recipe really use 35 slices of bread? That's three times as much as my usual recipe. Could it be a typo?"
"Do you use basil pesto green or red tomato pesto??Looks really good. Want to try it."