Prosciutto Egg Panini Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 teaspoons butter
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk and onion. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add egg mixture; cook and stir over medium heat until completely set.
- 2. Combine mustard and syrup; spread over four bread slices. Layer with scrambled eggs, prosciutto and cheese; top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- 3. Cook on a panini maker or indoor grill for 3-4 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is melted. Cut each panini in half to serve. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 each: 228 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Prosciutto Egg Panini
"We had these for breakfast - I really liked the flavor of the maple mixed with the mustard - slightly sweet and tangy at the same time. Nice complement to the eggs and ham. Although there were mixed reviews about the onions in the eggs at our house, we agreed that the sandwiches overall were really tasty."
"I would like to try this again without the syrup...I found the maple syrup taste odd, and felt it overwhelmed the taste of everything else in the sandwich."
"I used deli ham instead of prosciutto and loved these. Great weekend breakfast for the family."
"This was a nice change of pace from the usual bacon or sausage and egg sandwiches I usually make. I used 4 eggs instead of the 3 eggs and 2 egg whites. I also don't have a panini maker or indoor grill, so I just heated the sandwich on a griddle on the stove."
"Delicious egg sandwich. My husband and kids made it for me on Mother's day and it was superb!"