In the summer I love to serve these peppers with salad and a roll. At the end of summer, I freeze them for cold months when produce costs are high. For a hot meal on a cold day, I love to serve them with a side of warm pasta tossed in olive oil. —Renee Hollobaugh, Altoona, Pennsylvania
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 1 cup canned stewed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place peppers in an ungreased shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Combine the tomatoes, rice and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in the beans, corn, onions and pepper flakes; spoon into peppers.
- Sprinkle with cheeses. Microwave, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Pronto Vegetarian Peppers in Taste of Home June/July 2009, p28
Reviews for Pronto Vegetarian Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review