Pronto Vegetarian Peppers Recipe
In the summer I love to serve these peppers with salad and a roll. At the end of summer, I freeze them for cold months when produce costs are high. For a hot meal on a cold day, I love to serve them with a side of warm pasta tossed in olive oil. —Renee Hollobaugh, Altoona, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 1 cup canned stewed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup instant brown rice
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place peppers in an ungreased shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Combine the tomatoes, rice and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in the beans, corn, onions and pepper flakes; spoon into peppers.
- 3. Sprinkle with cheeses. Microwave, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
2 stuffed pepper halves equals 341 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 556 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC