Pronto Pita Pizzas
In Crossett, Arkansas, Debbi Smith calls on pita bread as a terrific crust for her quick-to-fix individual pizzas. With the healthy ground turkey breast mixture on top, they can also be cut in quarters and served as appetizers.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 pita breads, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, brown the turkey; drain. Add mushrooms, onion and
- garlic; cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, fennel seed and
- oregano. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Spread 1 cup of meat mixture on each pita; sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 358 calories, 187 mg sodium, 63 mg cholesterol, 41 gm carbohydrate, 38 gm protein, 5 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.