In Crossett, Arkansas, Debbi Smith calls on pita bread as a terrific crust for her quick-to-fix individual pizzas. With the healthy ground turkey breast mixture on top, they can also be cut in quarters and served as appetizers.
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 pita breads, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet, brown the turkey; drain. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, fennel seed and oregano. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Spread 1 cup of meat mixture on each pita; sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pronto Pita Pizzas in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p22
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Pronto Pita Pizzas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review