This chili may be simple, but the flavor is outstanding. One of the best things about preparing chili is that you can adjust it to suit your family's tastes. I sometimes substitute ground turkey for the beef.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste plus 2 cans water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, brown beef and onion. Drain fat. Stir in all remaining
- ingredients except cheese; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Top each
- serving with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 338 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 894 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 29 g protein.