- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (12 ounces) strawberry, raspberry or currant jelly
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and water on high speed 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Stir in extracts. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack. Unroll cake; spread evenly with jelly. Roll up; dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Prize-Winning Jelly Roll(4)
Sort By :
THIS IS NOT FOR CALORIE COUNTERS. cake was very easy to make, providing you have lots of large bowls. Simmered rhubarb with sugar til thick the day before so it thickened, Beat whipping cream, using 1 cup and 1 cup of rhubarb, Spread a little strawberry jam over cake first, then spread rhubarb mixture and rolled up. spread more whipped cream over top and sprinkled with raspberries. fruit all from the garden. WOW!!!
Wow, this came out perfect. Tip: if you are using jelly as the filling, it's good to beat it first as it spreads easier
I've made this several times. I put other fillings in it also. very good!
excellent jelly roll! beautiful, fluffy, light texture cake, no doubt a prize winner!