- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (12 ounces) strawberry, raspberry or currant jelly
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and water on high speed 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Stir in extracts. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack. Unroll cake; spread evenly with jelly. Roll up; dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Prize-Winning Jelly Roll
"This was very delicious"
"I have made this jelly roll many times and always perfect. I have won grand Champion and Best of Show on this recipe for several years."
"I made this exactly according the the directions and it came out really dry and hard. I only cooked it for 12 minutes, so as not to over cook it and it just wasn't good. I'm wondering if the person who posted this recipe left out the oil or some other ingredient to throw people off - so they wouldn't win any ribbons at the country fair? Not sure what happened, but I don't plan on making this recipe again. I don't like to leave bad reviews, but this one is bad. Look for another recipe, because this one is time consuming and not worth it in the end!"
"The only prize this could win is the worst or hardest jelly roll. Really Really bad and I bake for a living. I knew when I poured it into the pan and when I took it out OMG I thought it was going to be to hard even to roll, but it did roll and was really very hard and did not want to unroll. Had to through away."
"THIS IS NOT FOR CALORIE COUNTERS. cake was very easy to make, providing you have lots of large bowls. Simmered rhubarb with sugar til thick the day before so it thickened, Beat whipping cream, using 1 cup and 1 cup of rhubarb, Spread a little strawberry jam over cake first, then spread rhubarb mixture and rolled up. spread more whipped cream over top and sprinkled with raspberries. fruit all from the garden. WOW!!!"