- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, broccoli, onion, carrots, celery, bouillon and water; simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to vegetable mixture with the ham; simmer 10 minutes until heated through. Stir in cheese just until melted. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Priscilla's Vegetable Chowder
"Love this soup! I dont add the ham, it's great without it. And i used 4 cups chicken broth and a half cup each butter and flour, i find it thick with that. Thank you for sharing this recipe"
"delicious, i don't eat ham so left it out and added extra cheese made my husband a ham sandwich to go with it. very filling."
"I'm going to make it with all of the great reviews -- but I'm wondering if it will be just as good with leftover chicken. ?? What do you cooks think?"
"Excellent flavor. I will be adding this to my meal rotation. My husband, 14 month old son and I all loved it. I used 1/2 cup each butter and flour, and it was still plenty thick for our tastes."
"This is very very good, i cut the recipe in half for the 3 of us and now i wish i didnt. Perfect for fall/winter,it is a stick to your ribs kind of soup!"
"Absolutely delicious! I will definitely be making this again! Really easy to make. Love it!"
"Simple, easy and TASTY!! Plenty of room for substitutions to meet everyone's dietary needs. Thanks for sharing!"
"I made this exactly as directed, and it was wonderful. Tastes like a good broccoli cheese plus potatoes and ham."
"I LOVED THIS SOUP! and normally I would not rave about a vegetable chowder. Made a few adjustments, left out the ham, added some garlic, but over all it was amazing!"