- 3 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, broccoli, onion, carrots, celery, bouillon and water; simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add to vegetable mixture with the ham; simmer 10 minutes until heated through. Stir in cheese just until melted. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Priscilla's Vegetable Chowder
"We've been making lots of soups lately. This is one of the new ones we've tried. This is a keeper."
"I really don't have the right to rate this recipe as it is written. As I was looking at the recipe I decided to use 1 can of chicken broth and 1/2 c. water for the veges. Then when I was stirring in the roux I added 1 Tablespoon of chicken seasoning, a couple of dashes of garlic powder and a dash of ground red pepper and did not use any ham. My husband and I loved it. So thank you for the base of this soup."
"This was WONDERFUL! Easy to make and tastes great! This is a kitchen keeper for sure! YUM"
"This is one of the best soups I've ever had. I omitted the ham and used vegetarian bouillon as I'm vegetarian. I'd give it a 10 star rating if it were an option."
"delicious, i don't eat ham so left it out and added extra cheese made my husband a ham sandwich to go with it. very filling."
"I'm going to make it with all of the great reviews -- but I'm wondering if it will be just as good with leftover chicken. ?? What do you cooks think?"
"Excellent flavor. I will be adding this to my meal rotation. My husband, 14 month old son and I all loved it. I used 1/2 cup each butter and flour, and it was still plenty thick for our tastes."
"This is very very good, i cut the recipe in half for the 3 of us and now i wish i didnt. Perfect for fall/winter,it is a stick to your ribs kind of soup!"
"Absolutely delicious! I will definitely be making this again! Really easy to make. Love it!"