Prime Rib with Horseradish Sauce
To ring in the New Year, we invite friends for dinner. A menu featuring tender prime rib is festive, yet simple to prepare. A pepper rub and mild horseradish sauce complement the beef's great flavor. —Paula Zsiray, Logan, Utah
6-8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (4 to 6 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 to 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°. Brush roast with oil; rub with pepper.
- Place roast, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake,
- uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325°. Bake 2-3/4 hours or until meat reaches
- desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read
- 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°), basting with pan
- drippings every 30 minutes.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile, in a small bowl,
- combine the sauce ingredients. Serve with beef. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot