Prime Rib of Beef
This roast made its debut a few years back at Christmastime, when I made it instead of our traditional turkey dinner. Now we have a new tradition everyone looks forward to.Tim Buckmaster, Millsboro, Delaware
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1/3 cup each chopped onion, carrot and celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (6 to 8 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- Combine onion, carrot and celery; place in a greased roasting pan.
- Combine salt, pepper and garlic powder; rub over the roast. Place
- fat side up over vegetables. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2
- to 3-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (medium-rare,
- 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 10-15
- minutes before carving. Skim fat from pan drippings; add beef broth,
- stirring to remove browned bits. Strain, discarding vegetables.
- Serve au jus with the roast. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.