Pretzels with Cheese Dip Recipe
These are by far the best soft pretzels I've ever tasted. I make them often to serve as a snack or even as part of a meal. Chewy and golden brown, they're delicious! -Shannon Cooper, S. Gibson, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Coarse salt
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Prepared mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- 2. Punch dough down. Divide into 12 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 15-in. long strip; twist into a pretzel shape.
- 3. In a large non-aluminum stockpot, bring water to a boil; add baking soda. Drop two pretzels into water; boil for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain. Place on a greased baking sheet; sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat for each pretzel.
- 4. Bake at 475° for 10-12 minutes. Remove from pan to wire racks to cool.
- 5. For dip, combine cheeses in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk. Serve pretzels with cheese dip and mustard. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 214 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 994 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC