Youngsters love to lend a hand with this recipe. Our two girls help me measure, pour, stir, shape…and, of course, eat the chewy pretzel rounds when they're done! —Roberta Spieker, Fort Collins, Colorado
16 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt or colored sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add 2 cups flour, sugar and
- salt. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a
- soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6
- minutes. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to
- Divide dough into 16 portions. Roll each portion into a 15-in. rope.
- Fold each rope in half and twist two or three times; shape into a
- circle and pinch ends together.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with
- salt or sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Yield: 16 pretzels.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 119 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 152 mg sodium,