Pretzel-Crusted Chicken with Mixed Greens Recipe
- 2 cups sourdough pretzel nuggets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1. Place pretzels in a food processor; process until finely crushed. Place pretzels and flour in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, garlic and pepper. Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Dip both sides of chicken in flour, egg mixture and then pretzel crumbs.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook for 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and mustard. Remove 2 tablespoons to another bowl for dressing; whisk in remaining oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- 4. Place salad greens in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Serve with chicken and remaining mayonnaise mixture. Yield: 4 servings (2/3 cup sauce).
1 chicken breast with 1-1/2 cups salad and about 2 tablespoons sauce: 695 calories, 52g fat (8g saturated fat), 177mg cholesterol, 669mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein
Reviews for Pretzel-Crusted Chicken with Mixed Greens
"Can the chicken be baked in the oven instead of being fried?"
"My family loved it, it's a keeper"
"Really good chicken. Prefer the pretzels over bread crumbs any day. My 5 year old who needs to be bribed to finish any kind of meat ate a whole piece and actually requests this dish. Insted of Mayo, use Greek Yougurt."
"Very good recipe, flavors all taste well together"
"This was pretty yummy! I was leary of the mayo sauce but it went well with the chicken. I used lite mayo since that's all we had, and it was fine."
"The chicken smelled fantastic, but I found that frying it in the oil took away the flavor of the pretzels."
"My picky teenagers loved it!"
"My whole family loved it! It is being added to our rotation!"
"The chicken has great taste! We used French's Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce. I am going to try spicing it up a bit with some creole seasoning next time."
"Delicious and easy. I didn't have buttermilk, so I just used eggs with a bit of milk. Loved the sauce too - I made mine with light mayo & country dijon (with seeds). Will definitely make again."
"Quick and easy, and my boys loved it. Instead of pounding the chicken I sliced the breasts to make two thin pieces. Then after sauteeing I finished it in a 450-degree oven, which only took about 5 minutes."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.