Pretzel-Crusted Catfish Bites Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups honey mustard miniature pretzels, finely crushed
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Sprinkle catfish with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, mustard and milk. Place flour and crushed pretzels in separate shallow bowls. Dip fish in flour to coat all sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then in pretzels, patting to help coating adhere.
- Heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375° in an electric skillet. Fry fish, a few pieces at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with lemon wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Pretzel-Crusted Catfish Bites
Sort By :
"Great alternative to my usual breading go-tos of homemade breadcrumbs or Panko mix. Love the addition of Dijon to the egg dip. I preferred plain pretzels and used larger ones as mini pretzels may make a little salty."
"I was a little worried that the mustard flavors were going to overwhelm the catfish, but they were surprisingly mellow once cooked! I used larger catfish nuggets than called for but otherwise made the recipe exactly as written, and it is a definite keeper! Nice crispy coating and just the right hint of mustard flavor."
"I used this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into nuggets and served with additional Dijon mustard for dipping sauce. The pretzels were a really fun twist and created a great crunchy texture."