I make sticky buns and cinnamon rolls quite often because my husband loves them. One day, I had some fresh pumpkin on hand and decided to try pumpkin cinnamon buns. We loved the results! —Glenda Joseph, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/3 cup instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, shortening, pumpkin, milk, sugars, pudding mixes, salt and 6 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 12 slices. Place cut side down in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine the water, butter and cinnamon. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread over buns. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Pretty Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p41
Reviews for Pretty Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review