Pretty Plum Parfaits Recipe
With a plum tree in our backyard, I'm always eager to try new plum recipes. But none of them have beat this wonderful dessert! Light, refreshing and easy to whip up, these fruit parfaits are an ideal summer treats.
- 9 to 12 medium medium ripe red or purple plums (2 pounds), sliced
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 orange peel strip (1 to 3 inches)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fancy cookies and additional whipped cream and plum slices, optional
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the plums, jelly, brown sugar, orange peel and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until plums are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Discard orange peel and cinnamon stick; coarsely mash plums. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. Just before serving, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat peaks form. Place about 1/4 cup plum mixture each in four chilled parfait glasses; top with 1/4 cup whipped cream. Repeat layers. Top with remaining plum mixture. Garnish with a cookie, dollop of whipped cream and plum slice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 499 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC