Pretty Pineapple Torte Recipe
"Pineapple stars in both the cake and filling in this tall, beautiful dessert," remarks Iola Egle of McCook, Nebraska. "It's creamy and just lightly sweet."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Drain pineapple, reserving 2/3 cup juice. In a bowl, combine juice, 3/4 cup pineapple and vanilla (set remaining pineapple aside for the filling). Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with pineapple mixture, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining whites.
- 2. Spoon into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar and extract in a chilled large bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold in reserved pineapple. Split each cake layer in half horizontally. Spread about 3/4 cup filling between each layer; spread remaining filling over the top. Sprinkle with almonds. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 402 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 323 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC