Pretty Pineapple Torte Recipe
"Pineapple stars in both the cake and filling in this tall, beautiful dessert," remarks Iola Egle of McCook, Nebraska. "It's creamy and just lightly sweet."
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Drain pineapple, reserving 2/3 cup juice. In a bowl, combine juice, 3/4 cup pineapple and vanilla (set remaining pineapple aside for the filling). Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with pineapple mixture, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining whites.
- Spoon into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar and extract in a chilled large bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold in reserved pineapple. Split each cake layer in half horizontally. Spread about 3/4 cup filling between each layer; spread remaining filling over the top. Sprinkle with almonds. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Pretty Pineapple Torte in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p8
Reviews for Pretty Pineapple Torte(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review