Pretty Pepper Soup Recipe
I LIKE TO CREATE new dishes for my husband and me. I'd rather fuss over a meal and set a fancy table than go out to eat. I often serve this soup on special occasions such as our wedding anniversary...we have celebrated 56 of them! -Bessie Hulett, Shively, Kentucky
- 1 bacon strip
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 3 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chives and additional chopped red pepper, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel to drain. To the drippings, add the red pepper, onion and garlic; saute until onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, hot pepper sauce and cayenne until well blended. Add 1/4 cup broth. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes. Puree in a blender; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Gradually add remaining broth; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; reduce heat to low.
- 3. Gradually stir in cream and salt. Add puree; heat through. Crumble bacon over top. Garnish with chives and red pepper if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup: 382 calories, 35g fat (20g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 933mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Pretty Pepper Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC