Pretty Penne Ham Skillet Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add ham, red pepper and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until ham is browned and vegetables are tender. Add garlic and herbs; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add pasta; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 567 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,344 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.