Pretty Cranberry Coffee Cake Recipe
"This is one of the prettiest coffee cakes I've ever seen, and also one of the best I've ever tasted," comments Darlene Markel of Sublimity, Oregon.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- OPTIONAL GLAZE:
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 4 teaspoons warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and extract; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- 2. Spoon a third of the batter into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Top with a third of the cranberry sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cake. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 568 calories, 30 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 559 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC