Pretty Cranberry Coffee Cake Recipe
"This is one of the prettiest coffee cakes I've ever seen, and also one of the best I've ever tasted," comments Darlene Brenden of Salem, Oregon.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- OPTIONAL GLAZE:
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 4 teaspoons warm water
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Spoon a third of the batter into a greased 9-in.-square baking pan. Top with a third of the cranberry sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- 3. Bake 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extract and enough water to reach a drizzling consistency. Spoon over coffee cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece (calculated without glaze) equals 305 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC