"This is one of the prettiest coffee cakes I've ever seen, and also one of the best I've ever tasted," comments Darlene Brenden of Salem, Oregon.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- OPTIONAL GLAZE:
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 4 teaspoons warm water
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon a third of the batter into a greased 9-in.-square baking pan. Top with a third of the cranberry sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, extract and enough water to reach a drizzling consistency. Spoon over coffee cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Coffee Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p8
Reviews for Pretty Cranberry Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review