- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1/3 cup pizza sauce, bread crumbs, pepper, onion, egg whites and garlic. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six oval patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with oil; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
Place remaining pizza sauce in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on high for 10-20 seconds or until heated through. Place patties on toast; top with sauce and cheese.
Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a large resealable plastic bag; return to freezer. Freeze remaining pizza sauce in an airtight container. To use, cook frozen patties and pizza sauce as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 160° for patties and for sauce to be heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Presto Pizza Patties
"Our family likes this. It's fast and easy."
"I made this just as recipe asked. Changing nothing and it was just ok. I was very disappointed in the flavor it tastes like a giant meatball patty on bread with pizza and I thought it was a bit to plain and unfavorable. If I made this again I would maybe try adding more garlic and spices to the meat mixture. The toasted bread was fine. Thanks."