- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1/3 cup pizza sauce, bread crumbs, pepper, onion, egg whites and garlic. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into six oval patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with oil; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
Place remaining pizza sauce in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on high for 10-20 seconds or until heated through. Place patties on toast; top with sauce and cheese.
Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a large resealable plastic bag; return to freezer. Freeze remaining pizza sauce in an airtight container. To use, cook frozen patties and pizza sauce as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 160° for patties and for sauce to be heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Presto Pizza Patties
Sort By :
"Our family likes this. It's fast and easy."
"I made this just as recipe asked. Changing nothing and it was just ok. I was very disappointed in the flavor it tastes like a giant meatball patty on bread with pizza and I thought it was a bit to plain and unfavorable. If I made this again I would maybe try adding more garlic and spices to the meat mixture. The toasted bread was fine. Thanks."