Presto Mexican Peppers Recipe
- 4 medium green, sweet red, orange and/or yellow peppers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup salsa
- 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream and additional salsa, optional
- 1. Cut tops off of peppers and remove seeds. In a large bowl, combine the egg, salsa, chips, onion, cilantro, chili pepper, garlic and cumin. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well; spoon into peppers.
- 2. Pour 1-1/2 cups water into pressure cooker. Place peppers on steamer tray in pressure cooker; top with a piece of foil. Close cover securely according to manufacturer’s directions.
- 3. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 10 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat; immediately cool according to manufacturer’s directions until pressure is completely reduced.
- 4. Sprinkle peppers with cheese. Serve with sour cream and additional salsa if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed pepper (calculated without sour cream or additional salsa) equals 435 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 518 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 30 g protein.