Traditional stuffed peppers get a Southwestern twist! “The filling also makes a delicious meat loaf that we even like cold as a sandwich with Mexican-blend or cheddar cheese, mayo and salsa.”—Traci K Wynne, Denver, Pennsylvania
- 4 medium green, sweet red, orange and/or yellow peppers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup salsa
- 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream and additional salsa, optional
- Cut tops off of peppers and remove seeds. In a large bowl, combine the egg, salsa, chips, onion, cilantro, chili pepper, garlic and cumin. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well; spoon into peppers.
- Pour 1-1/2 cups water into pressure cooker. Place peppers on steamer tray in pressure cooker; top with a piece of foil. Close cover securely according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook for 10 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion or release of steam; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat; immediately cool according to manufacturer’s directions until pressure is completely reduced.
- Sprinkle peppers with cheese. Serve with sour cream and additional salsa if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Presto Mexican Peppers in Taste of Home February/March 2011, p77
Reviews for Presto Mexican Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review