Pressure-Cooked Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 cups water, divided
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium carrots, halved widthwise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. In a pressure cooker, brown roast in oil on all sides. Remove roast. Add cooking rack; place roast on rack. Add 4 cups of water. Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook for 40 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if needed.)
- 2. Remove from the heat; allow pressure to drop on its own. Remove meat and keep warm. Pour pan juices into a bowl; skim fat. Remove rack from cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, pan juices and remaining water to cooker. Cover securely; return cooker to full pressure. Reduce heat; cook for 8 minutes.
- 3. Immediately cool according to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 566 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Reviews for Pressure-Cooked Beef Stew
"This is a pot roast (not a stew), with that being said, it is a great recipe. Made exactly by the recipe except for cooking time. I thought 40 min. for a 2 bound roast was a bit long so I cooked it for 25 min. and it came out fall apart tender. This is a keeper."
"I'd call this a pot roast, not a stew. Also, the minimum size of the pressure cooker would be appreciated."
"can you can in a pressure cooker. It is an 8 qt."